Learning how to love yourself is so important. We have so much on our plates and find it difficult to take time for ourselves. We have to love ourselves before we can give love and energy to everyone else. I hope you find these steps useful in learning to facilitate self-love. “In order to shine your light, you must embrace its power by learning to love yourself first.” -Kelly Gibson
- Positive Affirmations: Get rid of all negative self-talk. Practice speaking only words of encouragment to yourself. It helps to look in the mirror and say them aloud, even if you don’t believe it at first. Repeatedly speaking phrases like, “You are beautiful,” “You are worth it’” “You are capable.” If you do this everyday, you will begin to believe it. Once you believe that you’re capable, you can accomplish anything!
- Surround yourself with people who support you: It may be time to access the people you spend your time with. If you’re constantly feeling judged or find yourself surrounded with people who like to gossip, it may be time to find some new friends. Find people who inspire you and make you want to be your best. Look at what direction your friends are heading because people tend to flock with those who they consider equal or even less than themselves in order to feel superior. This same concept applies to what we watch on T.V. If you constantly watch the news or “reality” shows filled with drama, you will most likely have a negative view of life in general. Surround yourself with as much love and positivity as possible.
- Be kind to others: Refrain from speaking negatively about anyone else because our opinions are really just a reflection of how we feel about ourselves. Smile everywhere you go and people will feed off of your positivity. Making someone else’s day is sometimes all we need to feel good about ourselves. Have you ever done a random act of kindness and immediately felt better about yourself? It works! It doesn’t take much to make a difference. Tell others when you think they are doing a good job. Encourage others by commenting when you notice that they got a haircut or look like they lost a few pounds. Shine your light wherever you go and you’ll feel good about the impact you’re making.
- Don’t judge yourself so harshly: We all struggle. We all have our days where we may eat too much or not get as much done as we planned. Give yourself a break and know that tomorrow is a new day. It is okay to take a break. It is natural to feel overwhelmed at times. Don’t let a small defeat keep you down. Look at it as an opportunity to overcome.
- Find something you love: If you are doing something you love than it doesn’t feel like work at all. I love to dance so Zumba was my go to and then i found Yoga which I can’t live without. I have found a love for running but it didn’t start out like that. Even if you’re not ready to exercise, finding an activity that you love that makes you feel good. May be you love reading or painting. Create a healthy outlet that will give you peace and help facilitate self-love.
- Eat what makes you feel good: Yes, sometimes ice-cream makes us feel good but what I mean is to find a healthy balance. We feel guilty when we over-indulge and we feel deprived when we’re constantly on a restrictive diet. Find a plan that works for you. It really is all about balance. Make sure you’re getting the nutrients that your body needs. Your eating habits directly affect your mood and energy level. I guarantee that eating better will make you feel better.
- Set a goal to work towards: Accomplishing a small goal can be a catapult to your success and will empower you to set more goals. I am continuously setting goals to build upon what I have already accomplished. Once you realize that you’re capable of achieving any goal you set for yourself, you will begin to understand that your true potential is endless.
- Stop comparing yourself to others: This is a struggle that we all face. We never think we’re are good enough because no matter how far we’ve come, there is always someone else who we want to aspire to look like. Jealousy fuels us and it is a big problem. I have learned to only compare myself to yesterdays version of me because I just want to be better than I was yesterday. 90 percent of the people we are aspiring to look like are photo-shopped anyway. Focus on being your best-self because you are perfect. Love yourself for where you are right now and know that you can only get better
- Leave the past behind you: The past can haunt us and hold us back. Stop letting who you were dictate who you will become. Leave the past where it belongs and never look back. It’s time to overcome the past mistakes and stop letting guilt and fear control you. Forgive yourself and keep moving forward. The future holds endless possibilities.
- Never give up!: You’re worth more than you know. It is never too late to be your best. No matter how lost you might feel or how far you have fallen, you can get back on track. Stop saying can’t because you are capable. Change your thought process. Change your language and believe. Learning to love yourself is a life-long process. You can never get away from yourself so you might as well figure out how to love YOU. I believe in you!- Love Kelly
One thought on “10 Steps to Build Self-Love”